Alvaro Bautista and Fabio Quartararo are the two contenders to take the SIC Yamaha MotoGP ride that had been earmarked for Dani Pedrosa, says Jorge 'Aspar' Martinez.
Honda rider Pedrosa announced his retirement from grand prix motorcycle racing on Thursday, opening up a desirable seat on a factory-backed satellite Yamaha M1 for the 2019 season.
While Valentino Rossi protege Franco Morbidelli is widely expected to occupy one of the new SIC squad's two bikes, numerous riders have been mentioned as possible contenders for the second ride.
However, speaking to Spanish TV channel Movistar, Martinez said the choice would be between MotoGP veteran Bautista - whose Nieto Ducati team is in effect being replaced by SIC next year - and Moto2 rider Quartararo, who recently secured his first grand prix win in Barcelona.
"There are two options right now that are being considered, Alvaro and Quartararo," said Martinez, who will stay on as sporting advisor at the new SIC set-up. "Let's see how it ends.
"There is one young rider with little experience, and another one with a lot of experience who has been with all the manufacturers. For me it's clear, but we have to see what the final decision is.
Read more: http://v.duta.us/0vRoQAAA