As if the catastrophic, home-devouring lava weren't bad enough, now residents have to worry about choking on sulfur dioxide.
Dangerous levels of the toxic gas are rising from some fissures, or cracks in the ground caused by the volcano, Hawaii County officials said.
"Severe conditions may exist such as choking and inability to breathe," the county's civil defense agency said. "This is a serious situation that affects the entire exposed population."
Officials warned residents to leave the area and to get medical attention if they're affected by the gas.
Since the Kilauea volcano erupted May 3, it's been one nightmare after another for residents of southeast Big Island.
To read full article - http://v.duta.us/6cAm3QAA