+263...7 Doctor what happens if you drink methylated spirit⚕️
Drinking alcohol contains Ethanol. Methylated spirit is ethanol mixed with variable quantities of Methanol. Both these substances are chemically alcohols and are metabolised in the body. However, the end products are different and have different effects on the body. Methanol is metabolised to Formic acid which has devastating effects on the cellular systems. As little as 10 mL of methanol can produce enough formic acid to cause permanent blindness.
Initial effects of methanol toxicity are the same as consuming large quantities of ethanol. It causes central nervous system depression, which manifests as dizziness, confusion, nausea and loss of muscular coordination. In large amounts, it can cause unconsciousness and death. If this phase is survived, the second phase of toxicity starts about 10-30 hours later and includes blurring of vision, blindness, and respiratory distress which can lead to death.
Send your questions in to the Duta Doctor. Just type doctor followed by your question!
Duta Doctor is a qualified doctor. However Duta Doctor's advice is generic and can never replace a consultation with your personal physician.